Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Glimpses

It’s on my wrist today, the thing I was so amazed at, as a kid. It’s still the same, it still walks the same distance, and it still moves its hands. I remember how I would get touched by an unparallel excitement, for that moment… The moment, on which I could get a glimpse of, the minute hand moving one step, into the new minute. Or even better, that of an hour hand…

I remember, how sometimes I would sit in front of it and wait for it to happen. I would concentrate on its hour hand, as if it’s the only thing that mattered. Sometimes, no matter how hard I tried, I wouldn’t get that chance to freeze my eyes upon that hand, for that one glimpse. Don’t know how, but time just seemed to past… Maybe I wasn’t concentrating that well or maybe it was just eluding me that it never happened. I would get upset then… very upset. Then on some rare occasions, I would just look at it and voila, it would take place, that very moment!! I would try very hard to remember that picture as if to record that glimpse into my mind, it would make me forget all the waiting I did for it on some other day… But, it would bring me back, to where I started; I would want it to happen for me, again. Rather without waiting for it, or maybe when I would start thinking, I had waited just enough…

All this while, I never seemed to care about the second-hand, who would be moving and would be there to give me a glimpse of its move into the new second, every now and then… Maybe he was caring enough, but I wasn’t. Maybe he had to keep doing it, despite not getting my attention, because if he wouldn’t move, nor would the other two. But I ignored him, as I wanted more and more of the hour hand.

Maybe the hour hand didn’t know me well; maybe he had too many others to remember names of. Maybe I was just ignorant, when he really came for me, or maybe he never came. Today as I walk, I just want things my way, just like the way I wanted to have the glimpse of hour hand’s movement, whenever I would take a look. I don’t think about any of these things I did as a kid, just like the way I didn’t think of second hand much. Nor do I think about those today, who walked with me then and after, only to teach me walking…

1 comment:

Onkar Bhardwaj said...

That was awesome metaphor..
Intrinsic human nature..

Onkar